1 Pot Beef Stew (5 Ingredients) no salt, no stock
I have looked everywhere to create a EASY beef stew for a 6 month old baby led weaner and the family that has NO salt and NO stock (as we know stock contains lots of salt). So here is a super EASY and TASTY BEEF stew that is HEALTHY and the meat is sooooooo tender! This Beef stew was Lewis's first foods and he managed eating it just fine. Beef stew is full of iron, protein, zinc, B12 and lots of goodness for babies. Note: You will need either a slow cooker (set on high setting) or you can set the stove top to a low temperature for 3-4hrs whilst it slowly cooks. How to serve for 6-8 month olds? shred some of the tender meat up with your fingers and serve a couple of long finger sized cooked carrots, so its easy for baby to pick up in her fist. for 8 month old+ cut the tender meat up into small pieces and cut the cooked carrots up into small pieces so baby/toddler can practice her pincer grip.
- 600 grams of Organic Beef Shoulder (ask the butcher to cut it up into big cubes)
- 2 medium brown onions (prep: cut onions into wedges)
- 3 celery sticks (prep: de-string the celery and cut into finger size sticks)
- 3 carrots (prep: wash and cut the carrots into finger size sticks)
- 330 grams of cherry tomatoes (prep: wash and leave whole, they will turn to mush in the slow cooker)
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh or dried rosemary
- Step 1 In a slow cooker pour a big splash of olive oil and brown the onions and beef off for 10 minutes. Then add all the vegetables, rosemary and pour in 1 cup of water and give it one big stir.
- Step 2 Place the lid on slow cooker and leave for 4 hours (give it a gentle stir every now and squish all the tomatoes, but try and leave the carrots whole)
- Step 3 HOW TO SERVE? for baby led weaners 6 month old – serve a couple of finger size carrot sticks and shredded tender beef for baby to pick up. The main purpose of adding the celery is to give the stew lots of flavour, the celery sticks might be a little tricky for baby led weaner – we just served this for the adults or left them to the side.
- Step 4 This stew can also be served with rice for the whole family! (for BLWers create rice balls so its easy to pick up)