Healthy Gingerbread Man CookiesDecember 17, 2017: 25-35 cookies: 15 min: 6 min: 21 min: Easy
These Healthy Gingerbread Man are super tasty and easy to make! They are a great size for little hands. Great for Christmas celebrations to share with the family as well as babies 6mo+ ... Using unrefined sugars (dates and molasses) that are natural and full of nutrition! 'Molasses is a nutritious natural sweetener and a healthy alternative to sugar for your little ones' (ref: Gill Raply, Baby Led Weaning Book) Remember moderation is key when it comes to sugar. 'There is no need to aim for a totally sugar-free diet for your baby - the occasional biscuit or sweet pudding is fine, but sweets and fizzy drinks have no real nutritional value, so are best avoided' - Gill Rapley, Baby led Weaning Book)
- 270 grams (which is approx 2 big cups of wholemeal self raising flour)
- 1 tbsp of Ginger Ground
- 1/2 tbsp of Cinnamon Ground
- 1 tbsp of vanilla (or seeds from 2 full vanilla beans)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of molasses (or an alternative: add another tbsp date paste)
- 10 seedless dates (prep: in a bowl soak dates in hot water, leave to rest for 5min, drain water leaving some water - approx 4 tablespoons, then blend or mash with a fork until a paste has formed)
- Step 1 Turn on oven to 180 degrees celsius and get out a non-stick baking tray.
- Step 2 In a large bowl blend (or hand mix) all wet ingredients (butter, vanilla, egg, molasses and date paste) until combined. Then add all dry ingredients (flour, spices). Mix until you reach a dough consistency, then create one big dough ball.
- Step 3 On a really floured bench top (add more flour if needed!), roll out cookie dough and shape out all of your gingerbread man, then place on a non-stick baking tray. With a wooden skewer you can push in little eyes and a belly button – just for fun! (We ended up making 30 biscuits as we had a small gingerbread cutter)
- Step 4 Place tray into oven on 180 degrees for only 6 minutes! (check they are golden brown, then remove and transfer to a wired rack to cool down) – enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!