Healthy Gingerbread Man Cookies
These Healthy Gingerbread Man are super tasty and easy to make! They are a great size for little hands. Great for Christmas celebrations to share with the family as well as babies 6mo+ ... Using unrefined sugars (dates and molasses) that are natural and full of nutrition! 'Molasses is a nutritious natural sweetener and a healthy alternative to sugar for your little ones' (ref: Gill Raply, Baby Led Weaning Book) Remember moderation is key when it comes to sugar. 'There is no need to aim for a totally sugar-free diet for your baby - the occasional biscuit or sweet pudding is fine, but sweets and fizzy drinks have no real nutritional value, so are best avoided' - Gill Rapley, Baby led Weaning Book)
- 2 cups wholemeal flour (whole-wheat)
- 1 tbsp of Ginger Ground
- 1/2 tbsp of Cinnamon Ground
- 1.5 tsp of Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of molasses
- 6 medjool dates (prep: remove seeds, heat dates in microwave for 10 seconds until soft)
- Step 1 Turn on oven to 180 degrees celsius and get out a non-stick baking tray.
- Step 2 In a medium size bowl blend all wet ingredients (butter, vanilla, egg, molasses and dates)with a mixer until all combined.
- Step 3 In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices). Then mix in all wet ingredients until you reach a dough consistency, then create one big dough ball.
- Step 4 On a floured bench top, roll out cookie dough and shape out all of your gingerbread man, then place on a non-stick baking tray. With a wooden skewer you can push in little eyes and a belly button – just for fun! (We ended up making 30 biscuits as we had a small gingerbread cutter)
- Step 5 Place tray into oven on 180 degrees for only 6 minutes! (check they are golden brown, then remove and transfer to a wired rack to cool down) – enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!