Natural 4-tier 'Lemon & Blueberry Cake'
Do you want to make your first ever 4-tier deliciousv‘Lemon and Blueberry Cake’ using all natural ingredients and is a healthier alternative than other refined sugary cakes for your 2 year old's birthday party or just simply for your family and friends? here is the recipe for you! Instead of using refined and processed sugars which have no goodness in them at all… we used Biona Organic Rapadura Whole Cane Sugar, which is made from certified organic sugar cane. This is the evaporated juice of the sugar cane in its natural state. The water is removed, allowing the remaining crystals to retain the vitamins and minerals from the sugarcane. This is a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional sweeteners and can be used in a 1:1 ratio when replacing ordinary granulated sugar. The cane juice, rich in molasses, vitamins and minerals, is squeezed from fresh sugar cane, evaporated and crystallised. Note: What you will need to make the 4-tier cake? Wilton Easy Layers Round Cake Pan Set 4-pieces, 8 inch diameter x 0.75 and a hand-held electric mixer.
- 3x cups (345g) of sifted plain flour
- 1x cup (230g) of unsalted butter (room temperature) – cut up into cubes
- 1.5 cups of Organic Rapadura Whole Cane Sugar
- 4x large free-range eggs
- 1x tbsp. of organic vanilla extract
- 1x tbsp. baking powder
- 1x cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 3x medium sized organic lemons (zest & juice)
- 1.5 cups of fresh organic blueberries
- 1x tbsp. plain flour
- How to Make Super Easy Cream-Cheese Frosting? Ingredients below:
- 1x cup (225g) of full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia)
- 1x teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of raw organic *honey (which is packed with vitamins B and C and has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties). *Remember honey is not safe for babies under one year old. For babies under 1, an alternative for honey is Organic Maple syrup
- Step 1 Turn oven on 175 Degrees Celsius and prepare all trays by lightly spraying or greasing with olive oil and then lightly dusting each tray with some plain flour.
- Step 2 Make Cake:
- Step 3 In a large mixing bowl, add all cubed unsalted butter (at room temperature) and beat the butter with electric hand mixer on high until creamy.
- Step 4 In the same bowl sift all the * Organic Rapadura Whole Cane Sugar and beat on medium speed until creamed (can take between 3-4minutes) *note: Organic Rapadura Whole Cane Sugar can be sometimes lumpy, make sure you use the sifted sugar only, all the lumpy sugar discard or set aside and blend up later to use another time. Once creamed, then add eggs and vanilla extract and keep whizzing for 2 minutes until creamy. SET THIS ASIDE.
- Step 5 In a large bowl add flour and baking powder, then slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beat on low speed until mixed, then add buttermilk, lemon juice and all lemon zest until combined.
- Step 6 In a separate small bowl coat the blueberries with the 1 tablespoon of plain four. (The reason why we do this, is to prevent the blueberries from breaking and making the cake turn purple!)
- Step 7 Slowly fold these flour coated blueberries into the batter.
- Step 8 Spoon batter into all 4-pans evenly and place all trays into oven side by side for approx. 17min.
- Step 9 Remove from oven and let cakes cool before frosting each layer and top. (If you are preparing the cakes 1-2 days in advanced do not refrigerate cakes, wrap each completely cooled down cakes in glad wrap and store next to each other – not on top of each other – in a cool area in the house)
- Step 10 Frosting Method:
- Step 11 Add ALL ingredients into a bowl and with hand electric mixer beat on medium speed.
- Step 12 Spread immediately onto cooled cake and refrigerate OR refrigerate the frosting immediately to use to spread on cake over the next 2 days.
- Step 13 How to Make Your Own Cake Flower arrangement? (either use flowers and foliage from your garden OR purchase flowers from florist, and also buy floral tape and if you want *optional floral wire to insert into the stem for a stronger hold)
- Step 14 Choose flowers from your local florist or garden (try to get flowers that have not been sprayed with pesticides), also purchase floral tape.
- Step 15 How to prepare the flowers you would like to be decorated onto your cake?
- Step 16 Cut each flower stem, leaving approx. 2cm of stem at the base of each flower, remove all leaves (*optional: then insert approx 5cm of wire in the centre of the stem leaving a couple of cm out the end) and then wrap each stem twice and the base of the stem in floral tape (to prevent any sap or flower juices that may leak into the cake), and then push each prepared flower stem into the cake top at your own desire! Also wrap stems of any foliage you would like to add! Foliage is great for filling in and making the flower arrangement look lushes and natural.