These Snack Balls AKA as Bliss balls are a healthy alternative 'snack (or breakfast) on the run' for the whole family. The balls are made with natural sugars and are full of nutty and oaty goodness. For Baby Led Weaning bubs 6mo+ these are great for introducing blended / soft nuts to bub's diet if you haven't done so. *Note: According to the recent guidelines from the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, potential allergenic foods like nuts butters or blended nuts are safe to introduce to babies as young as 6 months of age. Also according to ASCIA guidelines for allergy prevention: allergenic solid foods including peanut butter, cooked egg, dairy and wheat products should be given in the first year of life. For more information on allergenic foods and recommendation please read research and allergies on my website. If you are concerned and have nut allergies that run in the family, please discuss with your doctor.
- 3/4 cup of unsalted mixed nuts (OR you can just use one nut i.e. cashews or almonds work great!)
- 9x seedless dates (Prep: soak the dates in hot water for until soft, then drain out the water) OR alternatively 2x heap tablespoons of 'date paste'
- 2x tablespoons of organic cold-pressed coconut oil (room temp)
- 1/2 cup of oats (quick or normal oats)
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Step 1 Prep: in a bowl with hot water soak the seedless dates for a couple of minutes until soft, then drain out the water. Set dates aside.
- Step 2 In a blender (we used the phillip Avent basic blender) pour in the nuts and desiccated coconut, and blend for approx 2min (until nuts/coconut are completely blended and mixture becomes clumpy and wet when you press the mixture together with your fingers). Now set aside this mixture in a bowl.
- Step 3 Using the blender again, blend the soft dates and coconut oil together for approx 1minute until dates look chopped up (photo below)
- Step 4 Now combine the nuts/coconut mixture back into the blender, on top of the dates mixture and blend all ingredients all together for approx 1min)
- Step 5 Now your ball mixture is ready for rolling! Roll all balls (any size) by squeezing the mixture together with your hands and roll each ball in coconut
- Step 6 TIPS:You can eat them straight away (which my daughter Ava did as she couldn’t wait haha…) but we usually place the balls into the fridge for 30 minutes to set (either keep some in the fridge for the week for snacks or breakfast anytime of day! The rest you can store in the freezer for up to 3 months (to defrost: just leave some balls out in room temperature for 30 minutes). Enjoy, they are super yummy 🙂