Sweet Potato Gnocchi
May 7, 2017
: 2 adults & 2 baby serves
: 10 min
: 10 min
: 20 min
Sweet Potato Gnocchi is a great first food for bub doing Baby Led Weaning from 6mo+ they are easy to pick up, healthy, soft texture and great for the whole family.
- 4x medium Sweet Potatoes (peeled, cut up into pieces, then boiled or steamed)
- 1x egg
- 2x cups plain flour
- When Gnocchi is ready to fry:
- 1x handful of fresh sage (or dried sage)
- 4x tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Step 1 Boil or steam your sweet potatoes (i peeled, cut them into pieces, then steamed/boiled them for 10minutes) until soft.
- Step 2 Once sweet potato is cooked, remove from heat and let them cool down.
- Step 3 Once cool, on a plate mash the potato until no lumps, then combine 1x egg.
- Step 4 Mixing with your hands, gradually add the plain flour until your mixture forms a dough.
- Step 5 Roll the dough into 4 balls. Take 1 ball at a time and roll it into a long sausage shape about 3cm thick.
- Step 6 Once you have the sausage shape, chop 2cm pieces until you have lots of squares. Put your finger in the middle (on top) of each piece of gnocchi to great the shape. (repeat and do the same with the other 3 dough balls)
- Step 7 To cook straight away, bring a pan of water to the boil and drop in the gnocchi. Once it floats to the surface remove.
- Step 8 Fry the Gnocchi in butter and chopped sage until lightly golden brown.
- Step 9 Note: feel free to add vegetables or any sort of protein to your gnocchi dish. We added spinach, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes cut in half… you name it!
- Step 10 To Freeze and re-cook: lay the uncooked cut up pieces of gnocchi onto baking paper in a large zip lock bag or container and freeze. Can last a few months in the freezer. Note: to cook the frozen uncooked gnocchi, simply take the gnocchi out of the freezer and place into a pan of boiled water and cook straight away. Once it floats to the surface remove. Fry the Gnocchi in butter and chopped sage until lightly golden brown.