Healthy Hot Cross Buns
Want to make hot cross buns that are healthy, no sugar, only natural ingredients for the whole family and bubs 6mo+. These healthy hot cross buns are absolutely delicious, naturally sweetened and are great for babies 6mo+, kids, family and friends at Easter. The only thing you will need to consider is that the dough will need to rest and double in size in a warm place for 2hrs. I ended up making these on a Saturday morning and got Ava involved, a great introduction to baking with a toddler! She loved it, I gave her her own bowl which had some dough and raisins in it.
- 2.5 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup whole wheat (wholemeal) flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice (or just cinnamon)
- 1x apple
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup of raisins (or sultanas or dates)
- 2/3 cup full fat milk
- 2/3 cup full fat greek yogurt
- The Cross:
- 6x tablespoons plain flour
- 6x tablespoons water
- Step 1 In a pan add all the sultanas, squeeze the whole orange, grate the grind off the orange, then grate the whole apple – then place on heat for a few minutes until combined and liquid has been sucked up. Place the mixture aside until cooled.
- Step 2 In a separate pan on heat combine the milk and yogurt for 1min, until mixed together. Set aside and leave to cool down until the mixture is ‘luke warm’ (very important lukewarm and not hot or not cold)
- Step 3 In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients all together (flour, yeast, bicarb, spice mix).
- Step 4 Once the milk/yogurt mixture is ‘luke warm’, make a well with the dry ingredients and then slowly pour milk/yogurt mixture in the well and mix in the flour, until all the mixture is combined. Then knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the cooled sultana mixture into the dough ball, then create one big dough ball.
- Step 6 Place the dough ball in a bowl, cover with glad wrap, and leave in a warm environment for 2hrs, so the dough can double in size.
- Step 7 Once dough has risen after 2hrs, knock it down and knead for a couple of minutes.
- Step 8 Line a big pan with baking paper, roll out 11 balls of dough, place dough balls close together on the tray. Leave the balls there for 5minutes whilst you make ‘the cross ingredients’
- Step 9 Turn the oven on 170 degrees.
- Step 10 Cross ingredients:
- Step 11 in a zip lock bag place 6 tablespoons of water 6 tablespoons of plain flour. combine ingredients using the bag.
- Step 12 Snip off a small hole in the corner of the bag and pipe out one big line over the hot cross buns, then pipe another line to make one big cross going over all the buns.
- Step 13 Place buns into the oven for 25 minutes.
- Step 14 Then done! Enjoy tasty hot cross buns for the family and for babies 6mo+ great for breakfast or a snack when you don’t have time to cook, simply freeze them and take a bun out of the freezer and place into the fridge the night before for breakfast or when needed and heat up.