Ava's Healthy Breakfast loaf (naturally sweetened)
Ava's Breakfast Loaf' (no sugar, no salt, no sweeteners, all natural ingredients and suitable for 6m+) Recipe requested by followers!! Couldn’t live without this loaf! I bake it once a fortnight and freeze individual slices, and take out a slice in the morning and put it in the toaster to defrost or leave out the night before. Bub loves it. We either eat it at home for her breakfast or if i am going out to meet a friend for breakfast i toast (defrost) it for her in the toaster and place a couple of slices in a zip bag and bring it out with us in a cooler bag with her water.
- 3x bananas (over ripe the better!)
- 2x cup of wholemeal/wholewheat self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 2x egg
- 1/4x teaspoon baking powder
- 2x tablespoons of greek full fat yogurt (heap)
- 1/2x cup of sultanas (or can use 3/4x cup blueberries or raspberries)
- 2x tablespoon of poppy seeds OR Chia seeds OR Sunflower seeds
- 1 and 1/2 x tablespoon of mixed spices (or just cinnamon)
- Note: if you want a sweeter loaf for bub/mum or dad, add more sultanas into the loaf mixture.
- Step 1 Preheat oven 170 degrees celsius
- Step 2 In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, in a second bowl mix all wet ingredients. Then combine the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients (shhhh Secret – don’t over mix!)
- Step 3 Once all combined and looks like a cake mixture
- Step 4 Pour all ingredients into a prepared loaf tray (lined with baking paper)
- Step 5 Place tray in the middle of the oven for approx 40min.
- Step 6 Once centre of loaf is cooked (test with a wooden skewer), remove the loaf from the oven and leave the loaf to continue to cook in the tin for 5 minutes. Immediately remove the loaf from tin (so the loaf doesn’t get soggy) and place on a wired rack til it’s ‘completely cool’. Then once complete cool, slice up and freeze individual slices (lay flat) separately in zip bags (see picture below). Enjoy lovely mums and dads! This was a secret recipe of mine but it’s my lifesaver when it comes to breakfast that I want to share it with you all, it will save u time! And thinking what to pack when heading out or staying in for breakfast!
- Step 7 Note: Overripe bananas are the key to a tastier loaf. They will be easier to mash, sweeter and more flavoursome. They have so much natural sweetness with no added sugar!
- Step 8 Note: also a great way to introduce a bit of egg if you haven’t done so already.